Friday, May 20, 2016

Auckland Sky Tower – Afternoon of May 19th

Auckland has an ultra-modern TV - Communications Needle, just like Seattle. Sky Tower is the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere and it includes a revolving restaurant, a café, and an observation deck, all with a 360 degree view of the city.

   

It also features a one-way elevator to a “SkyJump” platform where you can leap off the building, 192 meters above the ground. It’s a 14 second controlled descent at speeds approaching 90 km/hr. What kind of an idiot would do that?


Here I am in my jumpsuit. Joani had lunch in the revolving restaurant, but she is not jumping. She’ll be on the ground taking pictures. She had a glass of wine with lunch. I did not.


We are now up at 192 meters. The cable drum will modulate my descent. It’s computer controlled. They have measured my fully-clothed weight, checked it twice, and fed it into the computer. It will generate a perfect spooling profile for a nice soft landing. I hope.


Here I am on the Sky Jump platform high above the city. After I was clipped in, the women in black said, “On my count of three, step off the edge and get a good kick-out.” Yeah right. I have a Go Pro strapped to my left wrist to record everything for posterity. Smile for the camera!


And we have lift-off!


Getting closer to the ground …


Aiming for the target …


Mission accomplished!


Here’s the video from the ground looking up:



And here’s the trip down from the wrist cam:


What a rush! Ready for a beer!!!


So with many good memories under our belts we say goodbye to both Auckland and New Zealand. A couple of days at sea and then Apia, Western Samoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment